Thursday, November 11, 2010

Hurt


I was sitting in the car today waiting to pick up Schuyler from the high school, and I turned on the radio. The first thing I heard was Johnny Cash singing "Hurt", originally written and recorded by Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails. I've heard it before but had never really listened to it. Johnny Cash's rendition is so beautiful--mournful yet stoic at the same time, if that makes any sense.


Here are some of the final verses:

what have I become?
my sweetest friend
everyone I know
goes away in the end
and you could have it all
my empire of dirt

I will let you down
I will make you hurt

if I could start again
a million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way

When I got home, I pulled up the video on youTube and watched it. Oh--my heart. It's effectively a contemporary psalm in music and images, and it made me cry.

A broken king in

black, hat in his hand, a man

after God's own heart



No comments:

Post a Comment