Monday, February 8, 2010

Brassica Oleracea

Today was a sunny, pleasant, uneventful Monday. Which is wonderful, as Mondays go. But I was feeling uninspired and couldn’t figure out what to write about. While I was preparing dinner it occurred to me that some of the foods I disliked as a child are now my favorites. The lowly Brussels sprout is a case in point: it turns out that extra-virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and a very hot oven turn this little cabbage into something to love. Who knew?


Your crispy, salty
outer leaves fall away to
reveal a mellow,
mild heart. Brussels sprout,
you’ve changed! I never knew it
could be like this with
you, you little wild cabbage!

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, Love those brassica oleracea! Have you tried them halved and broiled until crispy at the edges? Then they really strut their stuff! DGK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah and Delia, your brussel sprouts recipe have changed my enjoyment of them as well! Yum!

    ReplyDelete