Friday, July 30, 2010

People of Walmart

I feel kind of guilty admitting this, but David sent me a link to the "People of Walmart" web site that someone had sent to him, it made me laugh until I cried. In fact, I laughed so hard that afterward I felt like I had ingested a glass of really nice champagne, or had just returned from a short but relaxing vacation. Forgive me, people of Walmart. This wasn't a mean laugh. It was more of an amazed laugh. I just don't understand how a person wakes up in the morning and decides to go shopping in, for example, underwear and bare feet. It's stunning, really, and not in a good way. My poem is a rhetorical question to which I don't think there is an answer.


Why
must some of God's children
shop in
(only) their (ill-fitting) underwear
or
in Daisy Dukes so tiny
that they wouldn't even have looked good
on Daisy Duke herself
or
for that matter
in any pants
that don't even pretend
to cover the ass
from either direction?

No comments:

Post a Comment